April 16, 2014

Floodwood Principal Back On The Job, Investigation Not Over

By KBJR News 1

September 29, 2011 Updated Sep 30, 2011 at 10:18 AM CDT

Floodwood, MN (Northland's NewsCenter) --- A Floodwood principal who allegedly assaulted an 11-year-old student is back on the job, but the investigation is far from over.

Floodwood Principal Dan Bettin was put on administrative leave last week after allegedly assaulting a student in the lunchroom.

Superintendent Phil Johnson said the preliminary investigation conducted by the school's district attorney showed now inappropriate conduct on Bettin's part.

Floodwood family has told the News Center that the male student was assaulted in the school's lunchroom by the principal.

They said the altercation occurred after the boy flicked his rice in the lunchroom.

The family member claims Principal Bettin came up behind the boy, grabbed him by the neck and shoved his face to the table, resulting in some bruising and a scratch on the child's neck.

The child's family said they are very disheartened Bettin has been allowed back to school, and that other parents are keeping their children home today as well.

Floodwood Police are conducting their own investigation and authorities said they are still interviewing witnesses.

The family also reports that the Minnesota Board of Education has opened their own investigation.

Bettin worked as a principal at the Breckenridge, Minnesota high school from 2001 to 2010 and left voluntarily.

The administrator of that school district said there is no record of any disciplinary action taken against Bettin during his employment in their district.

Posted to the web by Alyssa Kroeten, reported by Danyel Piecek


click to unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time