October 21, 2014

PSA Takes MSHSL to Court, 'Toppers in Limbo

By KBJR News 1

PSA Takes MSHSL to Court, 'Toppers in Limbo

October 26, 2012 Updated Oct 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM CDT

Brooklyn Park, MN (Northland's NewsCenter) --- Prairie Seeds Academy on Friday morning filed court papers seeking to overturn the school's disqualification from the MSHSL Class A boys' soccer tournament, leaving it unknown whether Duluth Marshall will play the Lycans at 5:30 p.m. on Friday in the quarterfinal round.

Prairie Seeds Academy had been disqualified on Wednesday afternoon from the state tournament for allegedly using an ineligible player during the entire 2012 season.

Duluth Marshall, the Lycans' scheduled first-round opponent, was then granted a bye into the Class A semifinals by the MSHSL. Head coach Mike Sengbush, though, was warned that the issue might be taken to court and told to prepare his team to play Friday.

Friday's hearing began at 10:00 a.m. in a Hennepin County courthouse. Our news partners at KARE11 have a reporter in the hearing, and we will continue to update you on this story as details become available.

Duluth Marshall assistant coach Josh Bellamy said on Friday morning that the team will leave as scheduled at 1:15 p.m. If the judge upholds the disqualification, they will come back to Duluth, and if the game is back on, they will be ready to play at 5:30 p.m.

The discovery that Prairie Seeds Academy had allegedly used an ineligible player came during an investigation into an on-field fight between that team and Totino-Grace during the Section 5A championship.

10 players who were involved in the fight received suspensions, which were also handed down by MSHSL on Wednesday.

Posted by Zach Schneider
Bio - Facebook - Twitter - E-Mail


click to unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time