October 24, 2016

UPDATE: One Released From Hospital After Cook County Shooting

By KBJR News 1


3 photos

December 19, 2011 Updated Dec 21, 2011 at 11:51 AM CDT

Grand Marais, MN (Northland's NewsCenter) --- One of the victims who was shot at the Cook County Courthouse has been released from a Duluth hospital.

Greg Thompson, a witness in Daniel Schlienz's trial, was released from Essentia Health St. Mary's hospital Tuesday, after suffering from three gunshot wounds.

Cook County Attorney Tim Scannel is in good condition.

Schlienz was charged with six criminal felony counts. He was charged with two counts of 1st degree premeditated attempted murder, fourth degree assault, possessing a dangerous weapon within a court complex, obstructing arrest, and a felon in possession of a pistol.

Bail was set at $1 million in cash.

Attorney General Swanson's office filed a criminal complaint against Schlienz in Cook County District Court Monday.

Two people wounded in a shooting at the Cook County Attorney's office in the Grand Marais Court House Thursday.

The shooting allegedly happened about 4:20 Thursday afternoon.
Two people were shot in Scannel's office inside the Grand Marais Court House.

The suspected shooter, Daniel Sidney Schlienz, 42, was on trial in the courthouse for a sexual assault Thursday involving a child.

Cook County Sheriff Mark Falk said Schlienz was convicted of sexual assault charges stemming from an incident involving two 15 year-old girls and one 17 year-old girl in 2007.

After the trial, Falk said Schlienz left the courthouse went to the parking lot and got a gun from his vehicle.

He then went back into the court house and made his way to the office of county attorney Tim Scannel.

As he was going in the office door he met, Greg Thompson, 53, a subpoenaed witness and the first shot was fired. He suffered three gunshot wounds, one to the groin and two to the leg.

Schlienz then made his way into the county attorney's office where authorities say he fired three more shots. Scannell suffered two gunshot wounds to the abdomen and one to the groin.

Schlienz was then wrestled to the ground by a group of people including the bailiff, Gary Radloff, 70, who suffered a bullet wound graze to the arm. He was treated and released from the Cook County Hospital Thursday.

Others involved in the struggle with Schlienz were his mother Ginger Berglund, Assistant County Attorney Molly Hicken, and Schlienz's defense attorney Dave Becksom.

Thompson and Scannel were transported to Essentia Health St. Mary's Hospital in Duluth Thursday night. Scannel and Thompson underwent emergency surgery Friday morning and are both in stable condition.

Schlienz was injured in the struggle while being subdued with mace and a tazor. He was arrested shortly after the shooting and authorities are not seeking any other suspects.

He is currently in Cook County Jail.

The Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is assisting in the investigation.

Story by:
Alyssa Kroeten - Jena Pike - Kevin Jacobsen - Zach Vavricka

click to unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time