April 23, 2014

Tim Scannell Says He's Not Quitting

By KBJR News 1

Cook county MN government website Cook county attorney Tim Scannell

December 7, 2012 Updated Dec 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM CDT

GRAND MARAIS, MN (NNCNOW.COM) --- Cook County Attorney Tim Scannell says he is not quitting after admitting to a physical relationship with a 17-year-old girl.

A restraining order has been issued against Cook County Attorney Tim Scannell following a series of complaints from a Grand Marais family, in which they claim Scannell has been stalking their underage daughter and harassing the family.

Joe Tamburino, Attorney for Mr. Scannell of the Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, P.A. sent the following release:

“Mr. Scannell deeply regrets the pain and heartache that this situation has caused the family in question. However, Mr. Scannell has not committed a crime or any act of harassment. This incident did not involve his position as the Cook County Attorney, nor was he in any position of authority during any of the alleged events. Please understand that at no time did any sexual conduct occur between Mr. Scannell and the identified individual. Mr. Scannell intends to continue his duties at the Cook County Attorney’s Office and trusts that this matter will resolve quickly.”

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating the case as requested by the Cook County Sheriff’s Department.

Court documents confirm that the parents of a 17-year-old girl have filed the paperwork requesting that Scannell have no further contact with their daughter.

The restraining order says Scannell and the girl have known each other since she was in third grade, and he had given her guitar lessons, and was her tennis coach.

The document also claims that Scannell has admitted to the family that he and the girl have had a physical relationship over the summer of 2012, which involved kissing and touching but, according to Scannell and their daughter, nothing quote "illegal" took place.

The parents in the document said Scannell assured them he would stop communicating with the girl, but they claim he has continued, prompting the restraining order.

The restraining order requires Scannell to have no contact with the girl for two years.

Scannell, was thrust into the public spotlight last year after a man he was prosecuting for criminal sexual conduct with a minor, Daniel Schlienz, shot him.


click to unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time