Ash Trees Being Chopped Down in Superior

By KBJR News 1

August 20, 2013 Updated Aug 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM CST

Duluth, MN (NNCNOW.com) --- Superior City Crews have started a project that could run from one to five years.

They're cutting down 3,000 ash trees after emerald ash borers were found in the area last week.

Superior Public Works started removing large trees yesterday in Superior's north end where the original infestation was found.

The trees will be quarantined until the city finds a secure storage place.
The city will chip trees with trunk diameters of less than 18 inches.

Superior Parks and Recreation Administrator, Mary Morgan, says removing the trees within the city limits could cost around one million dollars and around one point two million dollars to replace the trees with another species.

The removal does not, as yet, include trees in the Superior Forest or on private property, which could add another couple thousand trees to those being cut down.

"We're going to be taking some of the Ash that we believe are going to be lost anyway and frankly, we believe all of them are going to be lost...What could counter that however is if our science community does come up with either an effective treatment or a natural enemy to the ash," said Mary Morgan, Administrator for the Superior Parks and Rec. Dept.

Douglas County is under quarantine and no ash wood, including hardwood and firewood can leave the county.

Researchers from Minnesota were also in Superior today learning about the infestation in case it spreads across the bridge.

Posted to the web by Raeanna Marnati