Budget Cuts Impact 24-Hour Alert Status of 148th Fighter Wing

By KBJR News 1

Budget Cuts Impact 24-Hour Alert Status of 148th Fighter Wing

August 26, 2013 Updated Aug 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM CST

Duluth, MN (NNCNOW.com) - A spokesperson for the North American Aerospace Defense Command says the 148th Fighter Wing is one of two bases in the US that no longer has a 24-hour alert status.

The removal of the alert status in Duluth and at Langley Air Force Base in Virginia is said to save $73 million over the course of four years.

The savings would come from shifting personnel from full-time to part-time.

According to a study earlier this year by the U-S Government Accountability Office, NORAD said removing the alert status from the base would have little impact on the nation's security.

NORAD says both bases lost their 24-hour alert statuses back in June after years of back and forth discussion about the topic.

The 148th Fighter Wing wouldn't comment on the issue.

Kevin Jacobsen
Bio - Facebook - Twitter - E-Mail