Carlson, Last Place Employees Plead in Federal Court

By KBJR News 1

December 21, 2012 Updated Dec 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM CDT

Duluth, MN (NNCNOW.com)-- A trial that could decide the fate of downtown Duluth's controversial headshop Last Place on Earth is set for March of 2013.

Last Place owner Jim Carlson and three others were served a 54-count indictment citing several violations of federal law earlier this week.

He, and the three other people charged in the indictment pleaded not guilty to everything in the 24-page document.

In fact, Carlson's attorney Randall Tigue wants a dismissal the whole indictment in the near future.

That was just one of the issues discussed at the Federal Building Friday morning at the arraignment.

The judge allowed a couple of motions, allowing former last place on earth employee Jamie Anderson to be released into the custody of his family.

Also, he amended the terms of Carlson's release, allowing him to be around dangerous, but legal weapons like swords and pepper spray since Last Place sells those items.

After the hearing, Carlson's attorney was confident a motion to dismiss the indictment will hold up in court, bypassing a jury trial.

"I would anticipate the overwhelming majority of the indictment would be dismissed without a trial," said Tigue.

Tigue and Carlson are due back in court in January.

Carlson says that incenses are being sold again at Last Place on Earth after a brief hiatus.

According to Carlson, the majority of the incense sold will have a sticker, providing the chemical makeup.

Zach Vavricka

Bio - Facebook - Twitter - E-Mail