Sheriff: Shooting Report at Minnesota School Most Likely a Hoax

By KBJR News 1

Sheriff: Shooting Report at Minnesota School Most Likely a Hoax

March 20, 2013 Updated Mar 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM CST

New Prague, MN (NNCNOW.com) --- Authorities say that a call about an active shooter at a New Prague, MN school appears to be a hoax and that all students and staff are safe.

According to our partners at KARE 11, a 12-year-old male student was taken into custody by New Prague Police following an investigation. Police believe that this student was making a prank.

The Sheriff's Department says a man called 911 asking for help and then hung up. He then called back and allegedly said a shooter with an assault rifle was in one of the schools and had already claimed a couple of victims.

The 911 call prompted the schools to lockdown. That lockdown has been lifted, however school officials have cancelled classes for the day.

The sheriff says there is no evidence of a shooter and no one is hurt.

New Prague is about 45 miles southwest of Minneapolis. The middle and high schools have a combined enrollment of 2,067.

Posted to the web by Krista Burns