Minneapolis, MN (NNCNOW.com) --- Millions of Americans will be preparing meals and traveling throughout the Thanksgiving holiday weekend which has prompted the American Red Crossto remind everyone on the importance of safety this holiday season.
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and related injuries.
Safety tips to follow:
• Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the cooking area.
• Clean all cooking surfaces to prevent grease buildup.
• Stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling or broiling food. Turn burners off if leaving the kitchen.
• Keep a pan lid or baking sheet nearby. Use it to cover the pan if it catches on fire.
• Place turkey fryers outside and away from the house, deck and garage.
Vehicles should be in good working order before heading out. Things to remember:
• Pack emergency supplies like blankets, water and snacks, flashlight and first aid kit.
• Fill the fuel tank, check air pressure in tires and top-off windshield fluid.
• Buckle up and obey all traffic signs.
• Avoid distractions while driving like using mobile phones to talk or text.
• Designate a driver who won’t be drinking whenever alcohol is served.