Update: Duluth Hockey Arena Evacuted after reports of Carbon Monoxide

By KBJR News 1

November 8, 2012 Updated Nov 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM CDT

Duluth, MN (NNCNOW.com) - The Duluth Fire Department responded to Fryberger Arena around 8 p.m last night on reports of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fire crews evacuated thirty people from inside of the arena. Eight of those people had complained of headaches and nausea, and were found to have elevated levels of carbon monoxide in their blood.

Once inside the facility, firefighters found carbon monoxide levels as high as 285 parts per million.

Carbon monoxide is a deadly, odorless poisonous gas and symptoms for low to moderate poisoning are similar to the flu.

Hockey teams that had played earlier in the evening were notified of the problem and encouraged to go to the hospital if they had experienced any symptoms.

Gold Cross ambulance was called in and crews assessed and monitored several people but only took one person from the scene to the emergency room. A player on a team that had played at the arena earlier in the night was also transported to the hospital by ambulance from his home.

Their conditions remain unknown at this time.

The cause of the high carbon monoxide level is still being investigated but it appears to be a a result of the propane powered zamboni and the aging heating and water heating systems.

Written and posted to the web by Raeanna Marnati