Virginia, MN (NNCNOW.com) - Virginia City Council members say they're adamantly opposed to a plan that would reroute highway 53 through their city.
The council adopted a resolution opposing that option Tuesday night.
Councilor Larry Cuffe Junior said it would have an adverse impact on the city, essentially dividing it.
He also says the council is frustrated because $12 million dollars in requested bonding money for the project was left out of the Governor's proposal.
Two mining companies are hoping to get to an ore deposit under the highway near Virginia.
The other options under a scoping plan released last year include an easterly route around the mine and a no build option.
MnDOT said since the scoping process for the project was just reopened last month, a timeline is still being determined.