Sweet Potato Gnocchi
5 lb. Sweet potatoes
10 c. Flour
1) Peel and wash potatoes. Slice in half and put into boiling water. Boil until potato is cooked but not too soft (e.g. mashed potatoes).
2) Drain water and immerse potatoes in cold water to cool.
3) Using hands, squash potatoes into a mound and make a well for the eggs.
4) Pour flour around outside of potato mound. (Start with 6-7 cups of flour and add more as needed.)
5) Crack eggs into center of well.
6) Fold flour over potato and into eggs, mixing well.
7) Add flour to get desired consistency and knead into a smooth texture.
8) Sprinkle counter with flour.
9) Roll dough into tight "fireplace log" shape and cover with flour.
10) Slice one inch section at a time and roll into long, even ropes.
11) Cut into three-quarter inch pillow shaped gnocchi.
12) Sprinkle flour on gnocchi and spread evenly on sheet pan. Cook (as described below) immediately or place sheet pan into freezer.
13) Once frozen, remove the gnocchi from the sheet pan and place in freezer safe container.
Cooking the gnocchi:
1) Bring large pot of slated water to boil and add gnocchi in small batches so they do not stick together.
2) Stir occasionally with wooden spoon to avoid damage.
3) Gnocchi will begin to float. Allow to cook for another minute or so and then remove with slotted spoon.
4) Serve immediately with cream sauce and cranberry chutney and toasted walnuts.
Cranberry Sauce for Sweet Potato Gnocchi:
2 c. Fresh cranberries
1/2 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Water
2 tsp. Nutmeg
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 c. Brown sugar
Directions: Boil water and sugar. Add cranberries. Cook 10 minutes or until cranberries start to break down. Stir in remaining ingredients.