Posted by: Laura Langemo
Makes about 48 Macaroons
2 large white eggs
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger
1 bag (14 oz.) sweetened flaked coconut (5 1/3 cups)
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Coat three rimless cookie sheets with
cooking spray or cover with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon, stir together the egg whites, sweetened condensed milk, salt, and candied ginger until well blended, about 1 minute.
3. Stir in the coconut, stirring with a rubber spatula so that all the moist ingredients are thoroughly blended with the coconut.
4. Drop by teaspoons onto the cookie sheets, spacing the cookies 2 inches apart.
5. Bake one pan at a time on an upper shelf in the oven for about 20 to 23 minutes until lightly golden. Slide cookies on the parchment paper onto the counter top to cool.
6. Put the chocolate chips into a small metal bowl and place over simmering water until chocolate is melted.
7. Dip the baked macaroons into the chocolate to cover the bottom of each macaroon. Place on waxed paper to harden.