Makes 2 loaves
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115F)
about 4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly crushed cardamom
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
Powdered sugar or an icing made with powdered sugar and water or cream
1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add milk and 1 cup of the flour. Beat in the egg yolks, sugar, salt, cardamom, lemon zest, raisins and almonds.
2. Beat in the melted butter and enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
3. Turn out in to a lightly floured board and knead until smooth. Cover and let rise until doubled.
4. Coat two brown lunch bags with nonstick spray and dust with sugar. Or grease two round cake pans.
5. Divide dough into two parts and place into the bags or cake pans with smooth side up. Let rise in a warm place until puffy.
6. Preheat oven 350F. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean and dry. Dust loaf with powdered sugar, or drizzle with a powdered sugar icing when cooled.