Makes 12 mini desserts, 2-ounces each
2 cups rhubarb, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
2 tablespoons sugar
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
about 1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the rhubarb in an even layer in the baking dish and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and liquids have evaporated. Sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon.
2. Reduce oven temperature to 325F. Scoop the rhubarb into 12 (2-ounce) individual shallow ovenproof ramekins or custard cups. Sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
3. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, cream, and vanilla together. Pour the cream mixture over the rhubarb, dividing the mixture equally.
4. Place filled ramekins into a larger rimmed pan and add enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the dishes. Bake until set, about 25 to 30 minutes or until set.
5. Remove and cool on a rack. Just before serving, sprinkle 1 tablespoon brown sugar evenly over each custard and caramelize with a blowtorch, moving evenly back and forth just over the sugar, or set under the broiler 2-3 inches from the heat until the sugar is evenly melted.