FEMA Assessors Extend Stay: Property Owners Must Report All Damages

By KBJR News 1

July 14, 2012 Updated Jul 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM CDT

Duluth, MN (Northland's NewsCenter)---FEMA assessors making preliminary flood damage assessments are concerned not everyone is reporting their damages, and have decided to extend their stay.

Assessors started their assessments on Tuesday, and Saturday was scheduled to be their last day.

To give property owners more time to report damages, four teams will continue damage assessments into next week.

FEMA teams are made up of local, state and federal officials.

Saturday, assessors reviewed damages to the Lake Superior Zoo and met with the Fond du Lac community members.

Each day they evaluate the damages property owners have already submitted.

They also go door to door asking homeowners and neighbors if all damages in an area have been reported.

"The message that we want to get out is that we want people to call their local emergency manager if they have any damage at all," Mark Neveau, FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer, said.

Preliminary damage estimates of 13 counties and three tribal reservations revealed more than $108 million in damages.

FEMA will fund 75 percent of the approved damage costs, while the remaining 25 percent will come from state and local funds.

Written and Posted to the web: Justin Reis