Reports of two gunmen shuts down UMD campus

By KBJR News 1

March 6, 2014 Updated Mar 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM CDT

Duluth, MN (NNCNOW.com) —– Early Thursday morning two teens walked into the Kirby Bus Plaza Hub on the U-M-D campus where an employee saw one of them drop what appeared to be a handgun. That employee called U-M-D police who located the suspects on Kirby Drive.

"Officer Brostrom immediately contacted the males and confronted them at gunpoint . Both males immediately became physically and verbally uncooperative, refusing to follow officer commands and taunting the officer telling him to shoot them," said Sgt. Tim LeGarde with UMD Police Dept.

The officer was able to keep the suspects in place until Duluth Police back-up arrived.

A 15-year-old boy and 19-year-old man were then arrested without incident. Police say they are not students at U-M-D and it remains unclear why they were on campus.

Authorities recovered an air soft pistol in a snow bank nearby and also live ammunition for a firearm.

"We put the entire campus in shelter in place and that was relayed via text message to the entire campus via email or via text message through the emergency alert system," said Lt. Sean Huls, with the UMD Police Dept.

The campus was shut down for nearly an hour until police could confirm that the threat was over.

Kirsten Jacobson, a freshman at U-M-D wasn't too concerned when she got the text alert but started to worry once her professor gave them the option of not coming to class.

"I mean you see a text and you see words but when your professor is like you don't have to come to class , you're like oh really this is serious!" said Jacobson.

Jared Steele was in class when they got the alert and the professor shut and locked the door. Steele said he was nervous and only had one thought.

"Well I hope they don't come through that door. I mean, that's probably everybody's thought," said Steele.

Authorities responded within two minutes to the threat and want the U-M-D campus to know they are always prepared for a call to action.

"Our police department and area police departments are here for them. I think this is a good example of our reaction, the quality of our reaction in keeping them safe and I think it turned out really well,"said LeGarde.

Proving that quick response is critical in a situation like this.

The suspects are facing charges of disorderly conduct, underage consumption and possession of marijuana.

Police say, however, that based on the severity of the incident more serious charges could be filed.

The 19 year old is being held in the St. Louis County Jail.

The 15 year old is in juvenile detention.

Written and posted to the web by Raeanna Marnati