St. Paul, MN (Northland's NewsCenter) --- The Minnesota Historical Society has awarded over 80 organizations in 37 counties throughout the state to help enrich the state's history and cultural heritage, including 15 here in the Northland.
"These projects will enhance access to history for all people now and in the future," says David Grabitske, manager of outreach services. "Accessibility means that people will be able to use the power of Minnesota history to transform their communities."
The grants awarded in the Northland include:
St. Louis County:
- The Duluth Playhouse Inc. received $150,000 for the NorShor Theatre Rehabilitation project. This grant will help preserve and restore brick and terracotta on the NorShore Theatre, a contributing feature of the Duluth Commercial Historic District listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Friends of B'nai Abraham Synagogue received $28,760 for the
B'nai Abraham Synagogue Lower Level Exit Restoration. This grant money will help mitigate moisture damage to the rear egress of the B'nai Abraham Synagogue, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Lake Superior Railroad Museum received $14,780 to stabilize the Steam Locomotive Northern Pacific #2435. The grant money will help restore the Northern Pacific steam locomotive, the last surviving Prairie Type locomotive built between 1906-1907.
- The Minnesota Discovery Center received $85,900 to finalize, fabricate and install the new Ojibwe Exhibit.
- Regents of the University of Minnesota received $80,981 to preserve a significant works-on-paper collection at the Tweed Art Museum.
- The Saint Louis County Historical Society received $150,000 to fabricate and install an exhibit of Eastman Johnson art work and Ojibwe artifacts in the Duluth Union Depot, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Birthing Ways Doula Connection received $3,442 to assemble in a report records and resources from various repositories pertaining to birth and maternity in Duluth prior to World War II.
- The Dorothy Molter Foundation and Museum received $4,699 to hire professional conservators to create a plan to respond to and recover from disasters.
- The City of Duluth received $7,000 to gather preliminary ethnographic resources preparatory to a larger project to study the ethnographic history of the Duluth area.
- The Historic Union Depot Corporation received $5,700 to revitalize the immigration exhibit in the Duluth Union Depot, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Listening Point Foundation received $4,325 to fabricate and install an exhibit on the history of Sigurd Olson's work to preserve the gray wolf in northern Minnesota.
- The Minnesota Discovery Center received $7,000 to make accessible primary records through a new microfilm reader/printer.
- The Schroeder Area Historical Society received $1,125 to transcribe 9 previously recorded oral histories documenting the history of the Schroeder area.
- The Gunflint Trail Historical Society received $31,124 to acquire professional services that will prepare a cultural landscape report for the Chik-Wauk Lodge, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, to guide future historic preservation projects.
- The Northern Itasca Joint Powers Board received $123,520 to rehabilitate plumbing, electrical, and weather-tightness, and restore interior finishes on the log residence of the Marcell Ranger Station, constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Minnesota Historical Society received a 2011 legislative appropriation to award a total of $10.5 million in Minnesota Historical and Cultural Heritage Grants during the 2012 and 2013 fiscal years. The grants provide an opportunity for non-profit and educational organizations, government units and tribal organizations to preserve and share the state’s history and cultural heritage.
Posted to the web by Krista Burns