Duluth, MN (NNCNOW.com) --- Duluth Mayor Don Ness has announced the organizations selected to receive $79,880 in Parks Fund Neighborhood Grants.
The Neighborhood Grant program is designed to provide direct support for community groups and organizations to add value in Duluth's parks.
The City is partnering with the Duluth Superior Area Community Foundation which accepted and processed the applications. Proposals were reviewed by a committee with recommendations for funding presented to the Parks Commission then for final approval from the City Council.
Parks Fund Neighborhood Grant Projects must:
· Take place entirely or primarily on existing recognized units of Duluth’s parks, recreation, and trails system;
· Support the mission of Duluth’s Parks and Recreation Division to fulfill the essential recreational, educational, cultural, and environmental needs that create a dynamic community; and
· Encourage both financial and volunteer efforts.
The grant recipients are:
- Arrowhead Youth Soccer Association: $5,000 for the Western Duluth Soccer Program
- Cyclists of Gitchess Gumee Shores (COGGS): $5,000 for Mountain Bike Trail System Sustainability
- Cyclists of Gitchee Gumee Shores (COGGS): $5,000 for Trail Signage for Existing COGGS Multi-Use Trail Systems
- Duluth Community Sailing Association: $4,500 for Purchase Replacement 13’ Laser Class Sailboat
- Duluth Cross Country Ski Association: $5,000 for the Spirit Mountain/Magney XC Ski Trail Rock Removal and Grading
- Duluth Cross Country Ski Club: $2,450 for Grooming Equipment for XC Ski Trails
- Duluth Eastern Little League Baseball: $2,500 for Eastern Little League Park Repair and Maintenance
- East Hillside Patch: $3,925 for Summer Park Sampler
- Friends of Keenes Creek Dog Park: $5,000 for Dog Park Improvements
- Friends of the Lakewalk: $5,000 for Informational Kiosks along the Lakewalk
- Lincoln Park Citizen Patrol: $2,500 for Safer Harrison Community Center
- Men as Peacemakers: $5,000 for Champions Building Champions: Athletes Helping Youth Succeed
- Piedmont Hockey Association: $5,000 for Building, Grounds, Accessibility, and Ring Improvement Project
- Salvation Army Duluth: $5,000 for Rookie Basketball Association 3 on 3 Tournament
- Valley Youth Center: $5,000 for Outdoor Youth Garden
- Wise Fool Shakespeare: $5,000 for Lake Place Players Theater
- Woodland Hockey Association: $5,000 for Woodland Outdoor Public Rink Refurbishment
- Neighborhood Youth Services: $4,005 for Beach Sweeps and Field Trips
Posted to the web by Krista Burns