CN Spokesperson: Crew members were not on locomotive during derailment

By KBJR News 1

December 9, 2013 Updated Dec 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM CDT

Two Harbors, MN (NNCNOW.com) - A spokesperson for Canadian Railway says the two men hurt in last week's train derailment weren't on the lead locomotive when the incident happened.

76 cars derailed as the train was entering the yard Thursday afternoon. Another 17 cars parked adjacent to the train were also impacted and derailed during the incident.

Patrick Waldron, a spokesperson for Canadian National, said part of the investigation by the Federal Railroad Administration includes why the two crew members weren't on board at the time the train derailed.

"They are investigating why the men left the locomotive, but we do know they activated the emergency brakes before the train derailed," said Patrick Waldron, a CN spokesperson.

Waldron couldn't specify whether the crew members jumped or fell from the moving locomotive.

"Safety is our number one priority," Mike England with the The Federal Railroad Administration wrote in an e-mail. "The FRA has investigators on site in Two Harbors. We are conducting a thorough investigation that will examine all factors contributing to this accident."

Waldron said the rail line on which the train derailed was repaired over the weekend.

Operations at the train yard resumed Saturday.

Kevin Jacobsen
Bio - Facebook - Twitter - E-Mail

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.