Fire Breaks out at Superior Perkins

By KBJR News 1

February 15, 2013 Updated Feb 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM CDT

Superior, WI (NNCNOW.COM) --- A small fire broke out at a Superior restaurant this morning.

The Superior Fire Department responded to a call around 5 am of flames and smoke coming from the roof of Perkins restaurant on East 2nd street.

The first crews on scene were able to extinguish the fire within 10 minutes.

The restaurant was open at the time, but no customers were inside.

The cause of the fire appears to be a faulty neon lighting system

"Fortunately somebody saw it and saw that it wasn't that large of a flame but somebody saw it in time otherwise it could have gotten inside. Pretty soon it would have been inside the roof," said Vern Johnson, Battalion Chief for the Superior Fire Department.

Exterior damages are estimated to be $10,000.

The restaurant plans to stay open for business as usual .

Written and posted to the web by Raeanna Marnati