Gilbert, MN (NNCNOW.com) --- A 21 year-old man lost one of his hands after a 4th of July fireworks mishap in Gilbert.
The incident happened just after 10 p.m. Thursday at the Lake-Ore-Be-Gone beach and campground in Gilbert.
Police say the Plymouth, Minnesota man detonated a firework into his hand after lighting it from the boat launch deck.
Other campers heard the noise and ran to help.
"He lighted a firework and then he went down to grab it because it wasn't working. And then it went off," said Cohl Karkinen, a young camper.
Police said the man received serious injuries and was airlifted to a hospital in Duluth.
He’s listed in fair condition
Misuse of fireworks often end in emergency room visits around the fourth of July.