Flooding Update

By KBJR News 1

Flooding Update

June 22, 2012 Updated Jul 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM CDT

St. Paul, MN (Northland's NewsCenter) --- Department of Public Safety Commissioner Mona Dohman is returning to Duluth, Carlton and Pine counties today to meet with local officials regarding the Preliminary Damage Assessments (PDAs) which will be used to determine Minnesota’s qualification for a Presidential Disaster Declaration.

The PDAs are a joint effort with local officials, Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM) and FEMA.

PDAs are the first step in requesting Public Assistance which helps communities repair sidewalks, streets, public buildings and other public infrastructure as well as other private not for profits. Public Assistance also reimburses for debris removal and costs associated with emergency response. Public Assistance is not designed to assist individuals. It is too early in the process to determine the need for Individual Assistance.

Updated Public Information


• HSEM Director Kris Eide has requested assistance from FEMA to conduct Preliminary Damage Assessments in 14 Minnesota counties and the Fond du Lac Band of Ojibwe. The counties are: Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Crow Wing, Dakota, Goodhue, Kandiyohi, Lake, McLeod, Meeker, Pine, Rice, Sibley and St. Louis.

• HSEM Regional Program coordinators are deployed to the hardest hit counties in Minnesota. Regional Program coordinators assist local jurisdictions in emergency preparedness as well as response when severe weather hits. HSEM has Regional Program Coordinators in Duluth, Carlton County and Pine County.

• The state has established a Minnesota Recovers webpage for the latest recovery information about the storm damage across Minnesota:Northeast Minnesota Flooding - June 2012. The site provides links to personal recovery information and any official disaster recovery information from state and local authorities.

County and City Updates

Carlton County
• Barnum is completely evacuated
• Moose Lake is partially evacuated and officials are urging citizens to boil their water
• Thomson is completely evacuated

Pine County
• Willow River remains under a boil water order

Citizens with Storm Damage

Minnesota residents with storm damage should report it immediately to their county emergency managers.
• Aitkin (218) 927-7436
• Carlton (218) 384-9518
• Cook (218) 387-3059
• Crow Wing (218) 825-3445
• Dakota (651) 438-4703
• Duluth (city) (218) 730-4390
• Goodhue (651) 267-2639
• Kandiyohi (320) 235-5133
• Lake (218) 226-4444
• McLeod (320) 864-1339
• Meeker (320) 693-5400
• Pine (320) 629-8385
• Rice (507) 332-6119
• Sibley (507) 237-4109
• St. Louis (218) 625-3966
• Fond du Lac Band of Ojibwe (218) 878-7502

Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT )

I- 35 is now open both north and sound bound through Duluth and the I-35 exit ramp to Moose Lake is also open.

Continued Road Closures
• Hwy. 2 from I-35 to Boundary Avenue in Proctor—temporary road project now permanent road closure due to flooding
• Hwy. 23 from Hwy 39 in New Gary Duluth to just south of the St. Louis River in Fond du Lac, completely closed evacuating the community.
• Hwy. 61 at Knife River, detour in place
• Hwy. 65 eight miles south of McGregor, under two feet of water, detour in place.
• Hwy. 73 west of Moose Lake
• Hwy. 73 north of Floodwood
• Hwy. 210 from Carlton to Duluth (through Jay Cooke State Park)
• Hwy. 210 four miles east of McGregor, detour in place

Shelter Update
• Secondary Technical Center – 12 people
• Fond du Lac Ojibwe School – 130 people

• Scanlon Community Center – 14 people

Red Cross damage assessment teams are en route to St. Louis and Carlton counties today.

Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED)

The WorkForce Center in Cloquet is open today.
Minnesotans unemployed because of a disaster may be eligible for regular unemployment benefits.

Minnesota Department of Health (MDH)
MDH has created a webpage for health-related flood information: MN Health Dept: Northeastern Flooding

Department of Commerce

Help With Insurance Claims
TheMN Department of Commerce is ready to help consumers in the event of a natural disaster. Insurance experts at the CRT can help Minnesotans understand their rights, work with your insurer to settle a claim, and help storm victims make informed insurance decisions after a flood or storm damages your home, auto, or property.