St. Louis County Attorney releases statement on Duluth Diocese sexual abuse

By KBJR News 1

St. Louis County Attorney releases statement on Duluth Diocese sexual abuse

January 2, 2014 Updated Jan 3, 2014 at 5:11 AM CDT

Duluth, MN (NNCNOW.com) ---St. Louis County Attorney Mark Rubin is voicing concerns that the Duluth Diocese didn't let authorities know in a timely fashion about the reported sexual abuse of a minor by a priest.

In the letter, Rubin says all allegations involving the sexual abuse of children by a priest or anyone, should always be reported and are required to be reported to either law enforcement or social services under Minnesota Reporting of Maltreatment of Minors.

The County Attorney says he has spoken with a sexual abuse victim of Father Corneluis Kelleher who told him the incident occured three years beyond the expiration of the statute of limitations that would have allowed the county attorney's office to prosecute the case.

The victim says that she did not want the matter to be investigated and as a result, the Diocese did not report the allegation to law enforcement.

Rubin did acknowledge, though, that the Diocese of Duluth took immediate action to remove Father Kelleher from where he was residing and prohibited him from further acting publicly acting as a priest after the allegation was made to the Diocese.

However, the County Attorney went on to say that "if there is any doubt about whether reporting is mandatory, the appropriate action is to report the matter to the responsible law enforcement agency or social services."

Earlier this week, the Diocese of Duluth released the names of 17 priests accused of sexual abuse of minors across Northern Minnesota.

We have included Rubin's full letter at the bottom of this post.

Posted to the web by Krista Burns

kburns@kbjr.com

 

 

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.