Duluth, MN (NNCNOW.com) - On Sunday January 26th, 2014 the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon will be held, starting from East High School. The event starts at 1:02 pm with mushers released every 2 minutes, however street closures begin at 08:00 am.
The East High School parking lot will be closed at 08:00am. Only Mushers and event staff will be allowed in the lot. Around 09:00 am Superior Street will be closed between 36th Avenue East and at 40th Avenue East to prepare the course crossing from East High School to Northland Country Club. Eastbound traffic on Superior Street will be directed down 36th Avenue East, and Westbound traffic will be directed down 40th Avenue East to London Road.
- 26th Avenue East is the suggested avenue for quicker access from Superior Street to London Road, vehicles using 36th Avenue East may expect long delays.
- DTA busses will detour from Superior Street to London Road between 36th and 43rd Avenues East during the event.
Police Officers and Volunteers will be occasionally stopping traffic at the following locations to allow Dogsled teams to cross:
-Glenwood Street just west of Skyline Parkway
-Jean Duluth Road just North of Payne Farm Road
-Pleasant View Road
-Martin Road near Vermillion Road
- 40th Avenue East, adjacent to East High School, will be no parked on the even side to help with traffic congestion on the avenue.
- Throughout the East Neighborhood, Residential Streets will be posted to allow parking on one side of the street only (in accordance with the Alternate-side parking schedule).
- Skyline Parkway will be posted for no parking from Glenwood Street to Hawks Ridge, both sides.
Motorists in the area of the Event should slow down, drive with care, watch for no parking signs, barricades, pedestrians, and Police Officers directing traffic.