Friends, Family Celebrate Life after Murder-Suicide Two Years Ago in Superior

By KBJR News 1

August 17, 2012 Updated Aug 17, 2012 at 10:32 PM CDT

DULUTH, MN (Northland's NewsCenter) - It was two years ago Friday when a pregnant Superior woman and her child were murdered by her husband.

The Superior Police Department says it's one of the worst incidents they've seen in 30 years.

Friday night family and friends gathered at Duluth's Rose Garden to remember April Oles and her family.

It was a tragedy family and friends will never forget.

"We're having a candle lighting memorial service for her and it's just a good way to remember her," said Amy Jensen, a friend.

"We're going to be letting the balloons go and they're pink and purple which is her favorite colors," said Christina Voeltz, another friend.

April Oles was eight months pregnant when 23-year-old Matthew Magdzas, a former National Guardsman, murdered her, their infant daughter Lila and their dogs before taking his own life.

"It's a nice way for all of us to come together because she touched a lot of people's lives. She had many many friends from all over and all sorts of walks of lives," said Voeltz.

Oles graduated from Carlton High School in 2002, went to college at UW-Superior, and was working as an assistant cheer coach at Duluth East High School at the time of her death.

"She always used to tell people that if she loved you, you would know it because she liked to give out gifts, hand-made gifts she made," said Voeltz.

Oles was remembered by her smile, her work and giving spirit.

"I think about it all the time," said Jensen.

The annual memorial balloons and vigil proving the impact April made is still burning through the lives of others.

"As long as people still want to keep showing up, we'll be there," said Voeltz.

About 30 friends and family members were at the memorial ceremony.

They all had pink and purple balloons and Hello Kitty Items, some of April's favorite things.

Posted to Web by Jena Pike