The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has announced temporary closures on a number of designated spawning beds in St. Louis County.
The closures will run from May 1 - May 11. The areas will reopen on May 12 for the fishing opener.
The closures are in conjunction with Minnesota state law to protect fish from disturbance during the spawn.
Signs will be posted at the locations to show which areas are closed.
The temporary fishing and spearing closures are listed:
- Bear Island River: Both sides of highway 1
- Beaver River: Portion upstream of Bear Island Lake
- Birch River: Both sides of County Road 2
- Burntside River: Both sides of County Road 88
- Everett Creek: Between Everett Lake and Twin lakes
- Shagawa River: Both sides of road crossings at Winton