3-Year-Old Allegedly Stabbed By Babysitter in Good Condition

By KBJR News 1

January 25, 2012 Updated Jan 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM CDT

BABBITT, MN (Northland's NewsCenter)--A three-year-old Babbitt girl is in good condition and home with her grandmother, after the toddler was stabbed multiple times by her babysitter last evening.

Babbitt Police Officer Jon Shenett shot and wounded 27-year-old Derek Nathan Klingfus as he held the child hostage at knife point.

When Officer Shenett got to the house on Ash Boulevard shortly after 5 p.m. Tuesday, Klingfus reportedly came out carrying Natalee Lynn Walker.

The report indicates Klingfus was holding a knife and pointing it at the child in a threatening manner.

Natalee's grandmother, Cynti Tricker, said at this point the little girl had already been stabbed multiple times.

"She was stabbed twice, once through the side that went all the way through and then above the knee," Tricker said.

Officer Shenett attempted to disarm Klingfus by deploying his taser.

When that wasn't effective Officer Shenett fired his weapon striking Klingfus.

Both Klingfus and Natalee were taken to the hospital in Ely.

Reprots indicate, Klingfus was later airlifted to Essentia Hospital in Duluth.

"There's a bullet lodged in his spine and his shoulder was shattered," Tricker said. "I think the outcome is that he is going to be paralyzed from the neck down and possibly on a ventilator for the rest of his life."

Tricker says Klingfus has been in a relationship with her daughter for a few months and has been on pain medication after shooting himself in the foot during a hunting accident this fall.

"I don't know if it was medication, I don't know what possessed him to do this," Tricker said.

Following standard procedure, Officer Shenett has been put on paid administrative leave as the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigates.

"We thank God that there must have been somebody watching out for her because it could have been so much more tragic for her," Tricker said.

Bureau officers continue to collect evidence and interviews in the case.

Posted to the web: Jennifer Walch