(Northland's NewsCenter)---A limited bulls-only moose hunting season will be allowed this year in Minnesota even though the moose population declined by about 15 percent from last year.
Minnesota's moose population dropped by about 700 from 2011 according to a DNR survey.
This year's moose season will be open for 16 days starting Sept. 29.
Eleven of the 87 permits will be offered to hunters selected in last year's lottery who opted out of the hunt due to access issues caused by the Pagami Creek Fire.
Tower Area Wildlife Manager, Tom Rusch says it will take at least five- years for the moose population to fully re-enter the fire-stricken region.
"These are large scale fires," He said. "It's 19 miles long. So it takes a while for them. They don't feel as secure venturing out into a wide open, cut over like that. They like to use the edges."
The DNR estimates about 50 bulls will be taken by Minnesota hunters this fall.