Plymouth, MN Man Loses Hand in Fireworks Mishap

By KBJR News 1

July 5, 2013 Updated Jul 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM CDT

Gilbert, MN (NNCNOW.com) --- A 21 year-old man lost one of his hands after a 4th of July fireworks mishap in Gilbert.

The incident happened just after 10 p.m. Thursday at the Lake-Ore-Be-Gone beach and campground in Gilbert.

Police say the Plymouth, Minnesota man detonated a firework into his hand after lighting it from the boat launch deck.

Other campers heard the noise and ran to help.

"He lighted a firework and then he went down to grab it because it wasn't working. And then it went off," said Cohl Karkinen, a young camper.

Police said the man received serious injuries and was airlifted to a hospital in Duluth.

He’s listed in fair condition

Misuse of fireworks often end in emergency room visits around the fourth of July.

Elsa Robins
erobins@kbjr.com