UPDATE: Electrical Overload Started Lincoln Park House Fire, Estimated 40,000 in Damages

By KBJR News 1

June 12, 2012 Updated Jun 12, 2012 at 1:06 AM CDT

Duluth, MN (Northland's NewsCenter) -- Fire squads responded to a house fire located on 24th Avenue West and 2nd Street in Duluth.

As of 11:45 a.m., flames and heavy smoke were coming out of the roof of the two story home and fire fighters were forced to get off the roof.

Two Duluth families are homeless after fire tore through the upper floors of the Lincoln Park house.

No one was hurt in the fire but it left severe damage to the upper portions of the three story house. Firefighters say the blaze was caused by an accidental electrical overload.

The people in the house told the Northlands NewsCenter they heard a sudden loud pop from the upper portion of this home. Witness say all of power went out when smoke filled the second floor. That's when they grabbed their dogs and ran out the front door.

Officials say smoke started showing outside the home minutes after crews arrived. After making sure everyone got out safely, holes were cut in the roof to ventilate as firefighters dosed the fire with water from below. It took about an hour to put the fire out completely.

The attic and 3rd floor have severe damage from the blaze that engulfed that portion of the house.

Taneasha Muonio was inside the home with a friend and her father at the time of the fire. She called 9-1-1 and is thankful that her family escaped safely.

"I'm just thankful that everybody got out safe. Material are materials and can be replaced. I'm so happy and thankful for my family being ok," Muonio said.

Her family has friends to stay with until they figure something out where to go

Officials say that the blaze caused 40,000 dollars worth of damage to the home.