Tower firefighters battle blaze at their own building

By KBJR News 1

July 4, 2014 Updated Jul 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM CDT

Tower, MN (NNCNOW.com) - An early morning structure fire hit close to home for the Tower Fire Department.

Just after 5 a.m. Friday, fire crews responded to the Tower Ambulance building with reports of smoke coming from inside.

Firefighters found the auxiliary two-car garage interior in flames.
The building suffered significant interior damage.

Tower 's Fire Chief believes the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction.

A city maintenance worker reported the fire, after noticing smoke coming from the building as he was going to work and notified authorities.

"It's not good when it's any structure. Obviously when it's a city building, an emergency services building, it's a little rougher. It could have been a lot of worse," said Tower Fire Chief Steve Altenburg.

No word on damage estimates.

Written by Kevin Jacobsen
Bio - Facebook - Twitter - E-Mail