Mankato, MN (NNCNOW.com) --- One day after all but three players refused to practice under recently reinstated head coach Todd Hoffner, the MSU-Mankato football program is now united and will move forward with its new coach, that according to our news partners at KEYC-TV.
Players and coaches, along with athletic department officials, met for about two hours behind closed doors on Thursday morning after players said yesterday they would not play if Hoffner was the head coach.
"The main reason we didn't practice it wasn't charges or disrespect, being an innocent man that he is," Darius Clare told KEYC-TV. "It was more about we wanted our voice heard."
Hoffner was reinstated to the head coaching job this week after an arbitrator ruled last week he had been unfairly terminated, bringing to a close a legal fight that had been ongoing since August 2012.
The Mavericks head coach was originally suspended from his job as he faced felony child pornography charges stemming from photos found on his school-issued cellphone. The charges were dropped, but a school investigation followed and ultimately led to Hoffner's dismissal.
There is another practice scheduled for Friday afternoon, and Clare told KEYC-TV he expects all of his teammates to be present.
"He's the head coach now and we're gonna play for him," Clare said. "We're gonna play for the other coaches. We're gonna play for each other."
MSU-Mankato plays in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) along with the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) and was one of just two teams to beat the Bulldogs in 2013.
The full KEYC-TV report can be seen here.