Vikings game pushed back to Monday night

By KBJR News 1

December 12, 2010 Updated Dec 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM CDT

Minneapolis - Due to the blizzard hitting the Twin Cities, the Minnesota Vikings game against the New York Giants has been rescheduled for Monday night.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reported on Saturday night that the decision to postpone the game came not from the NFL, but the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission. The MSFC contacted the Vikings about safety issues concerning seven employees tasked with removing the accumulation of snow from the Metrodome's bubble roof. The Vikings then contacted the league.

Steve Maki, an official representing the MSFC, said clearing the roof was an undertaking too large and dangerous to be handled overnight. Maki said the employees were working under "God awful" conditions and needed more time to remove all the snow.

Maki said that the roof of the Metrodome was not deflated.

"We weren't getting rid of it fast enough, and since we were hamstrung by the wind, we just said we might as well come back Monday morning," Maki told the Tribune. "My belief is everything will be fine for Monday night."

The delay gives Favre, the Vikings' 41-year-old bionic quarterback, another day to rest his sprained throwing shoulder. Favre is aiming to make his NFL-record 298th straight start, but he has barely practiced all week. He's listed as questionable for the game, after getting hit hard and slammed to the turf on his first pass of last week's game against the Buffalo Bills.

Favre built his reputation in the cold and snow in Green Bay, winning a playoff game during his last season with the Packers in 2007 with flakes falling all over Lambeau Field.

As for the Giants? They must really be tired of these trips to Minnesota by now.

The Vikings and Giants are set to play for the ninth time in the last 10 regular seasons, a scheduling quirk that has slated seven of those meetings -- this year would be three in a row - for Minnesota.

The Vikings (5-7) have beaten the Giants (8-4) four straight times.

With more than a foot of blowing snow falling in the Twin Cities area throughout Saturday, the Giants' charter flight was diverted to Kansas City instead. After hanging out in the terminal for a bit, the team then settled in to spend the night there, with an initial plan in place to fly to Minnesota on Sunday morning and make it to the stadium in time for regularly scheduled noon kickoff.

But the NFL made the announcement later Saturday night that the game was being moved.

Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon said on Twitter the team "monitored weather all week" and moved up the departure time by 3 1/2 hours Saturday. That didn't prove to be enough of a head start to make it to Minneapolis before the airport shut down all runways.
The game will be played Monday night at 6pm.

Courtesy: NFL.com