Plymouth, MN Man Loses Hand in Fireworks Mishap

By KBJR News 1

July 5, 2013 Updated Jul 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM CDT

Gilbert, MN (NNCNOW.com) --- A 21 year-old man lost one of his hands after a 4th of July fireworks mishap in Gilbert.

The incident happened just after 10 p.m. Thursday at the Lake-Ore-Be-Gone beach and campground in Gilbert.

Police say the Plymouth, Minnesota man detonated a firework into his hand after lighting it from the boat launch deck.

Other campers heard the noise and ran to help.

"He lighted a firework and then he went down to grab it because it wasn't working. And then it went off," said Cohl Karkinen, a young camper.

Police said the man received serious injuries and was airlifted to a hospital in Duluth.

He’s listed in fair condition

Misuse of fireworks often end in emergency room visits around the fourth of July.

Elsa Robins
erobins@kbjr.com

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.