Two Harbors Man Sentenced for 2007 Murder

By KBJR News 1

April 27, 2011 Updated Apr 28, 2011 at 12:05 AM CDT

Virginia, MN (Northland's NewsCenter) - Nearly four years ago 20 year old Megan Anderson of Cook was brutally stabbed to death at her place of work in Eveleth.

Today the man who admitted to the murder learned his fate.

Taken too soon from family and friends, many of those who knew and loved Megan Anderson gathered in a Virginia courtroom today to hear the sentencing for the man who killed her.

"I understand that there are laws and things they have to abide by but she died a horrible death that no one deserves to go through and I don't feel that he got what he deserved," said Jamie Christiansen, cousin of Megan Anderson.

32 year old Jesaiah Lee Carlson was silent as Judge Gary Pagliaccetti sentenced him to 40 years in prison.

Carlson is accused of murdering 20 year old Megan Anderson in August of 2007 at Durkee Signs and Graphics in Eveleth; medical reports show she had been stabbed 29 times.

Originally charged in 2007 with two counts of first degree murder, two counts first degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of attempted first degree criminal sexual conduct, those counts were plea-bargained to intentional second degree murder in exchange for Carlson's plea of guilty.

"I'm not happy with it, but at the same time I am kind of glad that this part of the chapter is over so we can move on and try and live life the best we can without her," said Courtney Anderson, cousin and best friend of Megan Anderson.

Family members and community members read impact statements today in court, many of which touched on the gentle spirit of Megan Anderson.

"Megan wouldn't hurt a fly; she was one of the nicest people you would ever meet," said Anderson.

"Megan lived life, the way everyone should live life. She always had a smile on her face and she loved life," said Christiansen.

Authorities who worked on the case say getting to Wednesday's sentencing was a journey, one they know will continue for the Anderson family.

"Our thoughts and prayers continue to go out to Megan Anderson's family and friends and we hope that they somehow can find some closure and peace...a lot easier said then done," said Eveleth Police Chief, Brian Lillis.

When given the opportunity to address Anderson's family, Carlson chose not to speak.